Scholarships - 2018
Investing in Future Leaders
Since 1989, over two million dollars in scholarship benefits have been awarded through USPAACC. Major corporations have established their Hallmark Scholarships with USPAACC, and Asian American businesses have stepped forward to support the Scholarship Program and endow their own scholarships.
- 24 Scholarships in 2017
- 3,200+ Applications Received Annually
- $100,000 Amount Awarded in 2017
- 18 Scholarship Sponsors in 2017
Printed online application
Deadline March 30, 2018.
Application must be printed and sent in.
Prepare additional documents
An essay of 250-300 words on “Why Should I Be Awarded this Scholarship?”
The essay must be typed, double-spaced, and signed by the applicant and his/her academic guidance counselor on the upper right hand corner. *Please see our FAQ section at the bottom of the webpage for more information on what to include in the essay!
High school transcript
High school transcript capturing the past two years of coursework.
A copy of most recent (2016 or 2017) household tax return signed by taxpayer(s).
Must include the applicant’s name, a statement of the actual household income, and the taxpayer’s signature. Please black out all social security numbers as a security precaution.
Two letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from those listed as references in the application: (1) one from high school, and (1) one from a community service organization (recommendations must be in sealed envelopes)
Information on proposed post-secondary course of study (major) and associated costs (tuition/room/board for one university the applicant is applying for)
Send all documents
Please PRINT THE APPLICATION attached to your confirmation email.
If you are applying for multiple scholarships, please mail (1) full application packet for EACH scholarship (i.e. 2 scholarship applications = 2 packets/envelopes) and mail it to:
NAME OF SCHOLARSHIP
US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce EF
1329 18th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036
Contents of envelope MUST be in this order:
- Printed Application with 2" x 2" photo
- Recent Tax Return (cross out social security numbers)
- Essay (250-300 words)
- Recent transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from those listed as references in the application: (1) one from high school, and (1) one from a community service organization (recommendations must be in sealed envelopes)
- Post-secondary information
- At least 16 years of age at the time of application
- A high school senior
- Of Asian Pacific Island heritage (except for Bruce Lee Scholarship)
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Beginning full-time study at an accredited post-secondary educational institution in the United States in Fall 2018
- Able to attend 2018 CelebrAsian Procurement Conference May 29 – June 1, Bethesda, MD
- Must be used for a full-time course of study at an accredited college or university in the United States commencing in the Fall of 2018
- Scholarship money will be paid directly to the recipient’s college or university towards the cost of tuition
- Must be used towards paying for courses on-campus; online courses will not qualify
- USPAACC reserves the right to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the submitted application package
Applicant should demonstrate
- Academic achievement of 3.3 GPA or higher
- Leadership in extracurricular activities
- Involvement in community service
- Financial need
Scholarship recipients are asked to
- Attend the CelebrAsian Procurement Conference in Bethesda from May 29 – June 1, 2018. *If unable to attend, must forfeit scholarship award
- Prepare a 2-minute acceptance speech to be delivered at the Awards presentation during the CelebrAsian Procurement Conference
- Spend time with USPAACC staff during the conference so both parties could get to know each other
- Write an essay about their experience at the CelebrAsian 2018 Conference within 30 days after the event and send it to USPAACC.
- Write a Thank You note to the sponsor of their scholarship and send it to USPAACC.
- Keep USPAACC informed of their college life and studies during their first four years in college by writing at least once a year.
What is the scholarship selection process?
The USPAACC Scholarship Committee consists of entrepreneurs, corporate representatives, government officials and educators. They meet for a full day to review the applications, deliberate and make their selections. Then, the Committee members present their recommendations to the USPAACC National President & CEO for final review. After the scholarship recipients are selected, they are notified by mail and have to confirm their ability to attend USPAACC’s CelebrAsian National Conference in June. As part of the Scholarship Award Program, USPAACC will provide travel arrangements and hotel accommodations to all scholarship recipients.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
The amount of the scholarship depends on the sponsors’ contributions and varies between $3,000 and $5,000. USPAACC will send the scholarship funds directly to the school the recipient will attend in the Fall semester.
How many scholarships are provided each year?
Each year the number of scholarship awards varies between 10 and 20.
When will the scholarship recipients be notified?
Scholarship recipients will be notified by mid-April. Due to the thousands of scholarship applications we receive, we will notify ONLY the awardees.
Am I required to attend the annual conference and the scholarship award presentation ceremony?
Yes! The scholarship award presentation ceremony is all about you! We want you to meet your scholarship sponsor and other scholarship recipients and help expose you to the professional workforce. It is all part of the experience.
What are the dates and the location of the CelebrAsian 2018 Procurement Conference that the scholarship recipients need to attend?
CelebrAsian Procurement Conference 2018 will be held on May 29 - June 1, 2018 at the Marriott Bethesda North in Bethesda, MD.
What ethnicities qualify as Pan-Asian American? Can I apply if I am not of Pan-Asian American heritage?
Apart from our Bruce Lee Scholarship, we only accept applicants of Pan-Asian American heritage. Pan-Asian American refers to having an ethnic background from the following countries: Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand. If you are not among those listed, kindly apply to the Bruce Lee Scholarship.
Could I apply to multiple scholarships if I qualify?
Yes. You can apply to as many scholarships as you wish and for which you are qualified. However, you are required to submit an application with the required documents in separate envelopes for each scholarship that you apply for. Multiple applications submitted in a single envelope will not be considered.
What should I include in the essay?
The essay is your best chance to share your story with the scholarship committee and should include your background, upbringing and achievements. Tell us about what you have had to overcome and how these hardships have affected or influenced your
goals for the future.
Do I need to submit different kinds of essays for different scholarships?
You will only need to write one essay, which can be used for all scholarship applications.
Does the transcript need to be official?
Yes, only if the school will provide it to you so you can send it along with your application. If not, you can attach an unofficial transcript.
It says that the transcripts from the past two years are needed; however my school only provides transcripts in 4-year format. Is it still acceptable?
Yes. It is fine to give us the official transcripts in the format that your school provides.
What if I do not have anybody outside of school to write a recommendation?
USPAACC scholarship applications require two recommendations—the outside-of-school recommendation is a requirement. The outside-of-school recommendation will enable the Scholarship Committee members to evaluate and better understand your achievements outside of academia.
Could you mail me the scholarship application?
No. The application can be downloaded from our scholarship webpage (scroll above). In special situations, if you have problem downloading the application, you can contact us and we will email you the application form in PDF format.
Is any picture acceptable?
No. Photographs should be in color, 2"x2” in size, and of good quality. Scanned photos will not be accepted. Passport-sized photographs or yearbook type photographs are ideal. We will be printing the pictures of scholarship recipients in
the Conference Program Book.
I do community service through my school (key club, after school activities), can I get a letter of recommendation from them?
Yes, as long as the recommendation letter is from a faculty member responsible for the club. We are looking for recommendations based on community service/leadership. Recommendation through the school is fine as long as they stick to the topic
Why do I need to submit my tax return form and do I need to submit it in its entirety?
We need to verify that it is really YOU! You will only need to provide us with the first two pages of the tax return form, the household income, and the taxpayer's signature. Please make sure all this information is stated clearly on the form.